If you have a three or four-year-old, based in the UK, currently you are entitled to funded childcare.

In England, you're entitled to 30 hours per week in term time or 1140 hours per year as a working parent.

When to apply

You can apply from when your child is 2 years and 36 weeks old.

When your child turns 3 When they can get 30 hours from Recommended time to apply
1 September to 31 December Term starting on or after 1 January 15 October to 30 November
1 January to 31 March Term starting on or after 1 April 15 January to 28 February
1 April to 31 August Term starting on or after 1 September 15 June to 31 July

How do I apply for 30 hours 'free' childcare? 

As a parent you need to visit the Government website and sign in to get a code to give to your childcare provider.

Existing parents should reconfirm their eligibility for 30 hours every three months.

What if I have a query?

The Government Childcare Service Helpline is 0300 123 4097.

What if I haven't received my code yet?

When you apply for 30 hours 'free' childcare, you may not get your code straight away.

You should check with your nursery or your local authority to see if places are still available.

When do I need to register by?

You should apply at least a month before e.g. by the end of July for a September start to ensure you receive your code in time.

If eligible, your child can take up 30 hours the term following their third birthday and the term following receipt of their 30 Hours code, whichever is later. 

The autumn term begins in September, spring term in January and summer term in April. Applications can sometimes be delayed so HMRC recommends submitting applications early in order to ensure applications are completed in time. The upcoming deadlines are as follows: 

Will my child be entitled to 30 hours funded childcare whilst I am on maternity leave? 

You can claim childcare for any older qualifying children whilst you are on maternity leave. 

My child is changing nursery; will we need a new eligibility code? 

The code is confirmation that your child qualifies for funded childcare and remains valid for the full declaration period regardless of circumstance but you have to re-confirm your details every three months.

You do not need to apply for a new code for a new setting. Your local authority can advise how you should approach moving your free childcare to a new setting. 

I am starting a new job soon, can I apply for 30 hours funded childcare when I start? 

Yes, you will need to be working at least 16 hours per week to apply but as long as your child is three this term you will be fine. 

My child turns three in September and will qualify for 15 hours free childcare. My partner is currently in employment but I am not. I am claiming Personal Independence Payment (PIP) as I cannot work due to ill health. Will my child still qualify for 30 hours funding? 

Receiving a Personal Independence Payment (PIP) alone does not make a parent eligible for 30 hours of free childcare, as many PIP users can and do work.

Families where one parent cannot work may still be eligible for 30 hours of free childcare, if they receive Incapacity Benefit, Severe Disablement Allowance, or Employment and Support Allowance (ESA).

However, one parent must work and earn the equivalent of 16 hours at National Living Wage each week in order to qualify.